When I was walking from my car back to the store, with the proper keys in hand, I told myself I was not going to let these things determine the outcome of my day. Sure, I would have totally preferred to not be talked down to by the pharmacy gal. Sure, it would have been awesome to not have to drive home and back to the store. But the day was still young and I knew I could rise above the irritants and have a great day.
So you know what I did? I made funny faces in the camera to help get our my frustration.
(There may or may not have been "grrrr!" noises being made while these pictures were being taken.)
We all have moments (or days) where things aren't going great, they are stressful, or just plain blah. In the spirit of my day, I was thinking I would share my thoughts on how to make these things better. I am by no means an expert at life, but I am very confident in the ways that make, and keep, me happy.
1. Smile. At everything and everyone. Smiles are contagious. Someone just might smile back. That's a nice feeling right?
2. Have a mini dance party. Put on your favorite happy, upbeat music and get into the rhythm. Give yourself 10 minutes to have the best dance party ever. Getting your mind off whatever and into the music, as well as getting your body moving, will help the bad feelings turn into good.
3. SING! Whether it's in the car, your bedroom or the shower- belt it! Pick happy, upbeat songs that you feel good singing. Use your diaphragm. Use up all that negative energy to sing those happy words.
4. Do something really nice. Call up your sister who's away for college and tell her you miss her. Move the shopping cart that's dangerously close to that car to the cart rack. Compliment someone on their awesome winter shoes. Leave a comment on everyone's blog you you follow or blog hop to.
5. Go get yourself your favorite treat. The sort of treat that makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Is it a box of Gobstoppers? A homemade peppermint mocha? A Starbucks Cake Pop? Go get it. Fend off the bad feelings with something that makes you feel GOOD.
These things may be small, cheesy, and/or silly, but it's the little things in life. They all add up. So take advantage of them and use them to make your day a positive one.